Autumn Field Socks
View this pattern free by becoming a $5 Patreon patron.
See all the patterns available on Patreon.
Cozy, comfortable and pretty! With this pattern you can whip up some lacy socks or legwarmers to keep your calves (and feet) stylishly warm this winter. They're perfect to wear alone or over boring regular socks to add extra warmth while curled up doing your favorite indoor winter activities.
The Autumn Field Socks (or legwarmers) are worked in DK-weight yarn, so they work up much faster than sock-weight yarn, but still have the familiar cuff-down construction of leg, heel flap, heel turn, gusset, foot, toe.
• Knitting and purling on small-circumference needles (double-pointed, magic loop or whatever you prefer)
• Lace and cable stitch patterns from charts or written instructions
• Increase Stitches: yo
• Decrease Stitches: k2tog, p2tog, ssk, s2kp
• Right Twist (RT) and Left Twist (LT) cables (video links included)
• Knitting through the back loop
• Slipping stitches
• Tubular cast-on (video tutorial included)
• Tubular bind-off (for legwarmers; video tutorial included)
• Short-rows (for heel turn)
• Kitchener stitch (video tutorial included)
• 8 pages of tech-edited and pattern tested instructions.
• Sock and Legwarmer instructions
• Charted and written lace and cable pattern instructions
• Detailed written instructions for the sock/legwarmer construction
• Beautiful color photography
• Professional pattern layout
Foot Circumference: 7¼ (8, 8¾, 9½)" / 18.5 (20.5, 22, 24) cm.
Calf Circumference: 12½ (13¼, 14, 14½)" / 32 (33.5, 35.5, 37) cm
Leg Length: 13" / 33 cm
DK weight (CYCA #3 Light)
About 390 (420, 450, 480) yards / 350 (380, 410, 440) meters.
Shown in: Ancient Arts Fibre’s Nettle Soft DK (68% Superwash Fine Merino, 32% nettle; 3.5 oz / 100 gram hank = approx 263 yards / 240 meters):
2 hanks for all sizes
Color Shown: Herbes de Provence.
Size US 4 / 3.5 mm: set of 5 double pointed (dpns), or size needed
to obtain gauge.
Size US 3 / 3.25 mm: set of 4 dpns, or one size smaller than size needed to obtain gauge.
Smooth contrasting-color waste yarn in the same weight as working yarn
stitch holder or waste yarn (optional)
23 sts and 28 rnds = 4" / 10 cm in Stockinette Stitch, with larger needles. Take time to save time, check your gauge.